How to add blog posts on your WordPress home page
A feature of WordPress that drives me crazy is that you can have a static home page or you can have a page that features your blog posts. I have always wanted both…I want a home page with the information I want displayed and my blog posts in a grid layout.
I have tried a number of methods using short codes and other html commands, but this usually proved to be frustrating and didn’t work at all. It never looked or functioned like I wanted—it was too much work and overhead rather than an automated solution. Again, I am the “Easy Button” type and this wasn’t working for me. No “easy button method” was available it seemed.
The Blog Post Display Easy Button
After some exhaustive searches online I finally found a WordPress plugin that I felt like would fit the bill for allowing me to display my blog’s posts on the home page in the grid display that I desired. I found the plugin that is called, “Content Views – Post Grid & List for WordPress”.
This plugin has proven itself to be very easy and useful. I really like and use it frequently. Here is an example of it being used on my website.
How to use the Content Views – Post Grid & List for WordPress Blog Posts
- Download the plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/content-views-query-and-display-post-page/)
- It will save the plugin as a zipped file to your computer.
- Then open your WordPress website and click the Plugins option in the left navigation panel.
- Choose Upload Plugin and then choose to upload the file.
- Upload the zipped file (keep it zipped).
- Once uploaded you must then activate it.
- A Content Views icon is added to your WordPress left navigation panel
- Click the Content Views icon
- Choose to Add New content view
- Choose the Content Type…I usually choose Post because I want my blog posts to be displayed
- From the Advanced Filters section, check the Taxonomy option
- Select a Taxonomy to be used (Category or tag)…I always use Category
- Select the Term(s) in the Category field…I always add a category to my posts called “home” or “blog” etc… I then choose that term for my Content ViewI don’t add that category to every post. I just add that Category to the posts that I want displayed on the home page.
- Click the Save button
- Now click the Display Settings tab
- I choose Grid and then indicate the items per row (usually 3)
- Once finished, click the Save button
- Give your Content View a Title and click Save again
You are now ready to place your Content View Grid on your home page (or whatever page you want).
- Copy the name of your content view (it must be in brackets) and is found at the top of the page
- Open your home page or whatever page you want to place this view
- Paste the copied content view name on your page or blog posts
- Save the page and view it
- Your view will look similar to my page
Hope this works for you like it does me on my blog posts and homepage. I really like how easy it is and how it gives me the control to place the content views wherever I want them to be displayed on my website.