Add tables & columns to your WordPress Pages & Posts using WP Easy Columns
I must make a confession here…I am not a very technical person and I sure don’t know how to program in any language. One thing has challenged me for years when it comes to website design. I could never get things aligned properly on the page (like in columns and such). I did quite a bit of research on the subject and this always lead me towards created a table structure using HTML.
So I began using this technique on my pages and I was able to get it to work but it was VERY time consuming and often presented a number of challenges. I know that I may sound stupid to a lot of people, but it just was not worth the effort to me. I needed a better solution. I have a lot of background in desktop publishing and have quite a bit of experience working with tables and aligning information. I had to find a solution to continue making website—this wasn’t an option.
The Easy Tables & Columns Solution
The one thing that I really like about make websites using WordPress is the number of tools that make your task easier. I am ALWAYS looking for the easy solution. So I started looking for solutions again online and in the WordPress plugins. Then I stumbled on one called, “WP Easy Columns”. Que the angels singing.
This plugin did/does everything I want it to do. It automatically builds columns without me having to program in HTML. Not only that, but it gives me various options, like 1/3 width columns (column 1=1/3 width, column 2=1/3 width, column 3=1/3 width). The size options are plentiful and so good. I freaking love this plugin and use it all of the time. The website (https://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-columns/) indicates that the plugin do the following:
- Over 30 column variations
- Works on pages and posts
- Works with any theme
- Responsive design
How to Download and Install the add tables and columns plugin
- Visiting that website (https://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-columns/) allows you to download the plugin (click the Download button).
- It will save the plugin as a zipped file to your computer.
- Then open your WordPress website and click the Plugins option in the left navigation panel.
- Choose Upload Plugin and then choose to upload the file.
- Upload the zipped file (keep it zipped).
- Once uploaded you must then activate it.
- To use the tool open a new page or post
- Click the columns tool on the toolbar
- Choose the column structure you want to use
- The code will be placed on to your page
- Simply place your content (text, photos, etc…) in the text areas (highlighted above) between the brackets
- Publish your page or post and then view your page to view the results
- You can copy the columns code to create multiple rows or you can insert different arrangements, if you desire
- In the example below, I used the 2/3 and 1/3 options for my columns. I then copied the code to make 3 different rows:
Does the Easy Columns Solution Work?
Now I must be honest…this plugin has not been updated in over 2 years (today is January 5, 2018) so I don’t know when it will quit working, but until that time I will keep using it. It has not failed me yet so I continue to use it daily. I know that one day it will stop and I just hope that another option exists. In fact, there may be another option already—I haven’t looked. I didn’t need to look for another option.
Here is an example of how I use it on my site. I chose to go with the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 option.
To have done this using HTML would have taken me a while (30 minutes to an hour). Using the WP Easy Columns I had this whole setup completed within 10 minutes.
You can add an unlimited number of column layouts on your website. One drawback that I have found, which is no big deal, is it doesn’t allow you to add multiple rows. So what I do is choose the column structure I want and drop it on to my page or post and then copy and paste it. This allows me to set up multiple columns and rows where I can put links to post or different pages. Again, this would have taken a long time had I programmed this in html.
I don’t know how much longer I will be able to use this plugin, but I will guarantee that I keep using it until I no longer can. It gives me so much control on the layout and look of the website that I am creating.
Check it out and let me know what you think.